Why do college students eat unhealthy foods?

Toby Smithson
Away from home and on their own, college students may be more likely to indulge in large portion sizes and high calorie foods as they are unsupervised. Another challenge of going to college is learning to cook. Without loving parents to prepare meals, students may opt for fast food, which is quick, easy, and inexpensive. However, these foods are commonly high in sodium and saturated fats. It is important to remember that one can still eat healthy at college! Some schools offer dorm menus online or the day before with nutrition information. If living in off-campus housing, creating a grocery list each week that incorporates a variety of foods from the five food groups can be help reduce unhealthy packaged foods, costs, and save time.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Nutrition and Healthy Eating

What foods are good sources of protein for teens?
What foods are good sources of protein for teens? Good sources of protein are lean meats, fish, poul...
Why do I look bigger despite eating less?
Why do I look bigger despite eating less? When you starve your body, certain predictable changes occ...
As a teen, what kinds of diets should I avoid?
As a teen, what kinds of diets should I avoid? You should avoid diets high in sugars and saturated f...
What are the benefits of eating in a college cafeteria?
What are the benefits of eating in a college cafeteria? When eating in a college cafeteria, you have...