Why should I bring a bag lunch to school?

Deborah Beauvais
If you are unsure of the meal options available to you at your school I strongly encourage you to bring your own bag lunch to school. Or if you have a child that is very fussy about food likes and dislikes better meal consumption may be with a bag lunch from home. But, do check out what your school has to offer students at mealtime. Many schools offer a healthy breakfast that is, quick and affordable in addition to a nutritious hot and or cold lunch. Schools that participate in the National School Lunch and Breakfast Programs are held to strict guidelines for the meals they serve and the portion sizes and nutrient content are both kid friendly and age appropriate and typically very affordable. Or for those in financial need they can complete an application for reduced price or even free meals at school. Keep in mind that children are more prepared for school and ready to learn when good nutrition is inplay, and that starts with breakfast each day followed by a nutritious lunch.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Nutrition and Healthy Eating

How can I eat healthy fast food while I'm at college?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
Fast food burger chains are potential minefields for the healthy eater. Only recently are health...
As a teen, who should I talk to before switching to a vegetarian diet?
Corey Schuler, MS, DCCorey Schuler, MS, DC
A vegetarian diet can be disasterous if poorly executed. Just eating a vegetarian diet, does not an ...
How can college students help to change the American food industry?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
While living on campus, you have a unique opportunity to experiment with more balanced meals bec...
What vitamins and minerals can boost my immune system as a teen?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
Vitamin A, B complex, vitamin C, vitamin E, calcium, magnesium, iron, selenium, and zinc are all...