Why should I avoid eating while watching TV at college?

Daphne Oz
Health Education
While you may find that you don't actually have much time to watch TV, the time you do spend in front of the tube can be very dangerous for a healthy lifestyle. It's a sedentary, passive activity, so your mind easily wanders to the snacks sitting in the corner of the room. And it's usually done in a group, which makes it harder to resist temptations others are indulging in. If you do choose to have a snack, the fact that you are distracted by the television impairs your ability to enjoy the food, gauge how satisfied you are with the amount you've eaten, and know when to stop. Therefore, it's best to put whatever you are going to eat in an individual bowl, rather than to munch out of a bag or box, so you know exactly how much you've eaten. If you know that you're someone who works better within a structured environment, make a rule: eat only at a table, not on the couch or the floor, and only from your designated, individual serving bowl.
The Dorm Room Diet: The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really Works

The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really WorksThe Dorm Room DietRevised and Updated EditionFiguring out how to eat right and stay healthy on your own can be hard! Here is...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Nutrition and Healthy Eating

Why are physically addictive foods unhealthy for teens?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
We turn to addictive foods for comfort when we're feeling sad, angry, depressed, or bored. More ...
Can I take vitamin supplements instead of eating healthy at college?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
Unfortunately, a supplement isn't going to correct an unhealthy diet, nor provide energy for your b...
As a Teen, Should I Drink Energy Drinks?
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium