What are some healthy dinners I can eat at college?

For a healthy dinner, follow the advice from ChooseMyPlate.gov:

• Fill half of your plate with fruits and veggies
  • About 1/2 of your plate should be grains, especially whole grains
  • The remainder of your plate should be devoted to lean protein sources such as skinless poultry
  • Add a serving of nonfat or low fat dairy such as a cup of skim milk or nonfat yogurt

An example of a healthy dinner could be grilled veggies, fruit salad (half of your plate), brown rice (about 1/4 of your plate), and grilled chicken breast (1/4 of your plate. Pour yourself a glass of skim milk or have a yogurt for dessert.

dotfit, salad
Daphne Oz
Health Education
At dinner, you want to try to keep your meal as light as possible. Lean proteins and lots of veggies are always a good option. So are hearty soups and salads. Another great choice is just to eat half the portion you might eat at lunch -- so half a veggie burger, or half a portion of grains or legumes, like quinoa and lentils, paired with lots of leafy greens. At dinner, you'll probably have a bit more time to prepare your meal, so make sure that whatever you decide to eat, it's something that helps you relax and refuel after a long day. You could even think about preparing some leftovers for breakfast or lunch the next day!
The Dorm Room Diet: The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really Works

The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really WorksThe Dorm Room DietRevised and Updated EditionFiguring out how to eat right and stay healthy on your own can be hard! Here is...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Nutrition and Healthy Eating

Why do I need fats in my diet?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
Fats are the densest source of energy in the body, yielding twice the amount of calories per gra...
What is a high fiber dinner recipe I can make at college?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
Here is a high fiber dinner recipe: Brown Rice with Vegetables 1/2 cup brown rice 2 cups water 1...
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium
How Can Communal Eating At College Affect How Young Women Eat?