What is a gluten-free dinner recipe I can make at college?

Daphne Oz
Health Education
Here is a gluten-free dinner recipe:

Quinoa with Vegetables
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup quinoa
  • 1/2 cup frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry of liquid
  • 1/2 can low-sodium garbanzo beans, rinsed
  • 1/2 package beluga lentils
  • 1 roma tomato, chopped
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • 1 pinch of garlic powder
  • Dash of paprika
  • 1/8 cup low-moisture vegetable rennet mozzarella cheese, shredded (optional)
Yield: 2 cups
Calories: 483 per serving
Total fat: 10.2 g
Fiber: 19.8 g
Protein: 31.3 g

Place the water in a microwave-safe bowl, and microwave for 3 minutes or until boiling. Once boiled, add quinoa and cover with a plate so that the quinoa rises. Place the spinach, garbanzo beans, lentils, and tomato together in the bowl with the quinoa. Add a pinch of salt, garlic powder, and a dash of paprika. Finish with low-moisture shredded cheese, if desired.

This is a great, hearty dish that serves as a nice substitute for pasta. Quinoa is gluten-free and loaded with protein -- the Aztecs actually harvested it for their long journeys through the mountains because it was so densely packed with nutrients. You might not be preparing for a three-day trek, but quinoa is one way to make sure you never run out of fuel, and it's quick and easy, too!
The Dorm Room Diet: The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really Works

The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really WorksThe Dorm Room DietRevised and Updated EditionFiguring out how to eat right and stay healthy on your own can be hard! Here is...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Nutrition and Healthy Eating

As a teen, how do I know if I'm an emotional eater?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
Emotional eating means that food is being used for something other than its intended purpose, as...
As a teen, how can I be sure my diet includes enough vitamins and minerals?
Eating a well-rounded diet that includes all the different food groups, especially fruits, veget...
How Can Communal Eating At College Affect How Young Women Eat?
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium