What are the dangers of using laxatives?

Laxatives often are used to “cleanse” or empty the body of food and stool. They tend to cause cramps and diarrhea, with more and more required to achieve the same effect over time. With repeated use, the bowel gets distended, causing further bloating, gas, and cramping. Chronic loss of bowel tone can be frustrating, with a feeling of being “big” persisting or worsening over time.
YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Nutrition and Healthy Eating

Why should teens eat butter instead of margarine?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
When people want to eat butter but are trying to limit their fat intake, they often switch to ma...
How can a low-carb diet affect a teen's weight?
Laura Motosko, MSEd, RDLaura Motosko, MSEd, RD
A low-carb diet which may involve excluding grains, starchy vegetables, fruits, dairy and sugar can ...
How Can Communal Eating At College Affect How Young Women Eat?
As a Teen, Should I Drink Energy Drinks?