What are the benefits of antioxidants for teens?

Daphne Oz
Health Education
As a product of functioning efficiently, your body produces free radicals, or oxidants (products of oxygen molecules), and antioxidants, compounds that protect our cell membranes from the harmful effects of oxidative stress (the "rusting" effect oxidants have on our cells). If we didn't have these antioxidants, the free radicals would begin to damage our cells. One result would be premature aging in the form of wrinkles, discolorations, and age spots (which is why you see all these antioxidant face creams around). These same processes are affecting the organs inside your body.
The Dorm Room Diet: The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really Works

The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really WorksThe Dorm Room DietRevised and Updated EditionFiguring out how to eat right and stay healthy on your own can be hard! Here is...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Nutrition and Healthy Eating

What are some healthy lunches I can eat at college?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
At lunch, you're usually looking for something a bit more savory than sweet, and you probably wo...
How can consuming fiber help me lose weight while at college?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
High fiber intake helps you lose weight by helping you feel full faster (so you don't overeat) a...
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium
As a Teen, Should I Drink Energy Drinks?