As a teen, what should I know about emotional eating?

Craig B. Primack, MD
General Practice

Teenagers (and everyone else) should be aware of emotional eating. I define emotional eating as eating to fulfill an emotional need that is not physical hunger. The most common subtypes that we see are 1) eating for stress control, 2) avoidance eating (eating to avoid thinking about or doing something) and 3) eating for energy. 

The foods that are the hallmark of emotional eating are simple carbohydrates and a have a characteristic repetitive eating pattern. Eating often and repeatedly.

If you find yourself eating emotionally, the first person to consider speaking to is your primary care physician and to discuss being referred to an emotional eating specialist. This specialist can be an obesity medicine physician or a specially trained psychologist. 

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Nutrition and Healthy Eating

How can college students help to change the American food industry?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
While living on campus, you have a unique opportunity to experiment with more balanced meals bec...
What can weaken a teenager's bones?
Chronic use of steroids (the kinds you swallow, not the kind you inhale for asthma), kidney disease ...
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium
How Can Communal Eating At College Affect How Young Women Eat?