As a teen, how can my family help me lose weight?

Thomas E. Pryor, MD
Family Medicine
Your family can be a huge blessing in your challenge to lose weight by supporting your efforts. Start by sharing with your family what you’re trying to do. Weight loss should be done through regular exercise and changing the way you eat and what you eat.
Talk to your parents about menu planning with more vegetables and fruits. Maybe you could help with preparing dinner where your whole family can share a meal together? Your family might also share in walks or other activities for exercise and allow time for you to participate in sports. Your parents can also arrange a time to meet with your doctor to help you in your efforts. Your family plays a key role in your plans to lose weight but be patient and talk to them about your ideas and be willing to work hard to support the changes you want the family to share in.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Nutrition and Healthy Eating

What snacks should I eat if I'm overweight as a teen?
Jessica CrandallJessica Crandall
There are plenty of healthy snack options for a teen who is overweight. Eating 3 small meals a day a...
How might my eating habits change when I start college?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
A college campus is completely different from the home you lived in for the first eighteen years...
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium
How Can Communal Eating At College Affect How Young Women Eat?