How might my upbringing influence how I eat at college?

Daphne Oz
Health Education
If your parents were very hands-off about scheduling and eating meals, you may have made a lot of your own food decisions, which may have left you overweight and unhealthy. On the other end of the spectrum, if your parents made all the choices for you, leaving you no opportunity to develop self-discipline, it may have had the same result.

What's important at this point is to recognize how the habits you learned at home affect your health and to begin making changes. For instance, if you learned that at home you usually ate while doing something else -- talking on the phone or watching TV, for instance -- understand that being preoccupied while you eat keeps you from (a) enjoying the food you're eating and (b) being aware of when you've had enough, which can lead to overeating. Or maybe you saw that having to prepare meals for your little sister made you more health conscious, because you felt responsible for making sure she ate well. Whatever you realized about yourself by creating this brief portrait, now it's up to you to take this information and use it to help yourself. The good news is that, even if your family life left you with less-than-perfect eating habits, college provides a fresh start and is a great place to take control of your health.
The Dorm Room Diet: The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really Works

The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really WorksThe Dorm Room DietRevised and Updated EditionFiguring out how to eat right and stay healthy on your own can be hard! Here is...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Nutrition and Healthy Eating

How can consuming fiber help me lose weight while at college?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
High fiber intake helps you lose weight by helping you feel full faster (so you don't overeat) a...
What diet should I try if I'm overweight as a teen?
Enas ShakkourEnas Shakkour
A teen body needs plenty of nutrients to grow. You should make sure that you are getting all the nut...
How Can Communal Eating At College Affect How Young Women Eat?
As a Teen, Should I Drink Energy Drinks?