How do people with anorexia behave with food?

People with anorexia nervosa (AN) have an intense fear of becoming fat or gaining any weight, even though they are often underweight. They seriously restrict their caloric intake and are generally acutely aware of every calorie that goes into their bodies. Besides restricting, people with anorexia may also binge and purge, but the resulting calories consumed are less than the average person, and much less than is needed for healthy functioning.

YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Nutrition and Healthy Eating

As a teen, why should I avoid processed foods that claim to be low-fat?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
Watch out, for the "low fat" head fake. Foods that you would normally assume to be high in fat, ...
What are the benefits of eating in a college cafeteria?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
The cafeteria, you'll find, is truly a lifesaver. You have a huge variety of food from which to ...
As a Teen, Should I Drink Energy Drinks?
How Can Communal Eating At College Affect How Young Women Eat?