How can a low-carb diet affect a teen's mood?

Daphne Oz
Health Education
Because carbs are your brain's main fuel, cutting them out may cause you to feel slow and foggy, and the lack of immediate fuel reserves will make you tired and less likely to exercise. Also, a lack of carbs lowers the level of serotonin, the "happy" neurotransmitter in your brain, making many dieters depressed and grouchy. In fact, some studies have shown that low-carb plans can cause mood swings that can lead to emotional binge eating.
The Dorm Room Diet: The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really Works

The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really WorksThe Dorm Room DietRevised and Updated EditionFiguring out how to eat right and stay healthy on your own can be hard! Here is...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Nutrition and Healthy Eating

What causes college students to engage in emotional eating?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
Emotional eating means that food is being used for something other than its intended purpose, as...
As a teen, what should I know about becoming a vegan?
Vandana  R. ShethVandana R. Sheth
With some planning, a vegetarian diet can provide you with all the nutrients you need and foods you ...
As a Teen, Should I Drink Energy Drinks?
How Can Communal Eating At College Affect How Young Women Eat?