How much fiber do teen girls and young women need per day?

Daphne Oz
Health Education
Young women should be getting about 25 grams of fiber daily. You can easily get this amount in your diet by eating five servings of raw fruits and veggies and a bowl of high-fiber cereal (such as shredded wheat or raisin bran) daily. Complex carbs, such as brown rice and whole grain bread, are also good sources of fiber. You can also swallow the new and highly convenient pill forms of Metamucil (psyllium husks), a dietary fiber supplement taken fifteen minutes before lunch and dinner to help you feel full faster and make sure that any food you don't digest is easily passed from your body.
The Dorm Room Diet: The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really Works

The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really WorksThe Dorm Room DietRevised and Updated EditionFiguring out how to eat right and stay healthy on your own can be hard! Here is...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Nutrition and Healthy Eating

Why should teens eat butter instead of margarine?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
When people want to eat butter but are trying to limit their fat intake, they often switch to ma...
As a teen, what's the best way for me to stop gaining weight?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
As a teen some weight gain is normal.  As you go through puberty and start growing taller it is not ...
As a Teen, Should I Drink Energy Drinks?
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium