How can I eat less sugar as a teen?

Daphne Oz
Health Education
As a rule of thumb, go for naturally sweet items, like fruit, or find ways to get your sugar fix without overloading -- a piece of chocolate rather than the whole bar, for instance. When you want to sweeten a drink, use sugar but dissolve it in warm water first. Dissolving it beforehand will cut down on the amount of sugar you need to achieve the desired sweetness. (You can also try a plant-derived cane sugar substitute, such as agave nectar, a cactus juice that tastes just like sugar and comes in liquid form, so you don't have to do the mixing.)
The Dorm Room Diet: The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really Works

The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really WorksThe Dorm Room DietRevised and Updated EditionFiguring out how to eat right and stay healthy on your own can be hard! Here is...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Nutrition and Healthy Eating

How can I get my college to serve healthy food?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
You can start promoting healthy food by getting your college or university administration to spe...
How can consuming fiber help me lose weight while at college?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
High fiber intake helps you lose weight by helping you feel full faster (so you don't overeat) a...
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium
As a Teen, Should I Drink Energy Drinks?