How can I eat healthy at college parties?

Daphne Oz
Health Education
Follow these tips to eat healthy at parties:
  • Eat an apple or pear before you get to the party to put something in your stomach: it will keep you full and make you less likely to eat a lot of junk food at the party. You can also try a citrus fruit, like a grapefruit, which, in addition to the fiber it provides, acts as a natural appetite suppressant. Add a protein to your fruit/fiber to really get rid of any craving. Try unsweetened peanut butter, low-fat cheese, or hummus.
  • Position yourself away from the food table, so that the food is "out of sight, out of mind."
  • Arrive at the party chewing gum. It will keep your mouth moving (so you aren't tempted to eat), and your breath fresh, and may also increase your metabolism, in addition to thoroughly washing your teeth with extra saliva.
  • Keep a cup of water or a low-sugar beverage in hand at all times so your hands feel like they're doing something. Also, drinking lots of fluid will keep you feeling full so you aren't tempted to stock up on the snacks.
  • Think about how great you look at this party, and how you want to look even better at the next one.
The Dorm Room Diet: The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really Works

The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really WorksThe Dorm Room DietRevised and Updated EditionFiguring out how to eat right and stay healthy on your own can be hard! Here is...

Don't go to a party hungry. Make sure that you have a meal before you go so that you will be less tempted to make a meal out of snack foods such as chips and dips.

Watch what you drink. Consume sparkling water and non-calorie beverages will save you from oversipping calories.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Nutrition and Healthy Eating

What can a teen vegetarian like me eat at a restaurant?
Vandana  R. ShethVandana R. Sheth
Depending upon how strict a vegetarian you are affects your choices at a restaurant.  If you are a v...
What are some healthy eating tips for teens?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
The following are some healthy eating tips for teenagers: Just eating half portions of the foods y...
As a Teen, Should I Drink Energy Drinks?
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium