How can I choose healthy foods while at college?

Daphne Oz
Health Education
When you are walking down the aisles of a supermarket, picking up a snack at the university co-op, or perusing the cafeteria options, there are a couple of identifying adjectives you want to look for when choosing what kind of food to eat. The most important things for you to know about and look for are whether the food is organic, whether it is free-range, grass-fed, and certified humane, and whether the food was grown locally. When food is organic, free-range, grass-fed, humanely produced, and locally grown, it has likely been exposed to far fewer synthetic chemical additives, such as pesticides, fertilizers, or antibiotics.

In most cases, the meat you get that is organic and grass-fed will be from healthier livestock because the animals were allowed to graze in a pasture, run around, grow naturally, and were butchered in hygienic and humane conditions. And eggs that are gathered humanely mean that they come from chickens that had open-air access and were allowed to run free and lay eggs at natural intervals. Foods that are grown nearby will also usually be fresher and more nutrient-dense because they did not have to travel many hundreds -- or even thousands -- of miles to get to you (a good rule of thumb is that the longer it takes get from farm to table, the fewer nutrients a particular food will have).
The Dorm Room Diet: The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really Works

The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really WorksThe Dorm Room DietRevised and Updated EditionFiguring out how to eat right and stay healthy on your own can be hard! Here is...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Nutrition and Healthy Eating

Why should I avoid eating while watching TV at college?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
While you may find that you don't actually have much time to watch TV, the time you do spend in ...
How can I avoid unhealthy late-night eating at college?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
The following tips will help you avoid unhealthy college eating habits late at night: If you're ...
As a Teen, Should I Drink Energy Drinks?
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium