How much calcium do teens need per day?

Daphne Oz
Health Education
You need about 1,000 milligrams of calcium per day to facilitate weight loss and ensure strong bones, high bone density, and good sleep patterns (since calcium plays a crucial role in muscle relaxation).
The Dorm Room Diet: The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really Works

The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really WorksThe Dorm Room DietRevised and Updated EditionFiguring out how to eat right and stay healthy on your own can be hard! Here is...
Toby Smithson

Calcium requirements vary by age. According to the National Institutes of Health, both male and female teens between ages 13 and 18 require 1,300 milligrams of calcium/day. The teen years an important time to lay down strong bones as the peak for bone mass is age 30. Calcium is best absorbed through food. The best sources of calcium come from milk, yogurt and cheese. One cup (8 ounces) of low fat milk contains about 300 milligrams of calcium. Yogurt can contain anywhere from 150 milligrams to 350 milligrams of calcium.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Nutrition and Healthy Eating

What are the health benefits of vitamin C for teens?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
Vitamin C helps body cells, including those in the bones, teeth, gums, and blood vessels, grow a...
Why should I eat a variety of foods as a teen?
Cindy GayCindy Gay
Eating a variety of foods helps to ensure consumption of essential nutrients for growth, maintenance...
How Can Communal Eating At College Affect How Young Women Eat?
As a Teen, Should I Drink Energy Drinks?