How can I avoid eating unhealthy food while watching TV at college?

Daphne Oz
Health Education
In order to avoid an unhealthy eating disaster while watching TV you can:
  • Drink a glass of water before you have anything to eat; a lot of times, we confuse thirst with hunger.
  • Chew gum.
  • Always try to have a piece of fruit rather than processed snacks, especially late at night. If plain fruit doesn't cut it, try some peanut butter or low-fat cheese with the fruit. You can also dip your fruit in chocolate and refrigerate it, so if you need a little chocolate, you can grab an already dipped piece of fruit in a hurry.
  • Keep a bag of semisweet chocolate chips around, so if you want a sweet fix you can take a small handful.
  • Try rice cakes or soy crisps before turning to more processed snacks; they come in a variety of flavors and the soy crisps even give you some protein without much fat.
  • If you really have to have something carbohydrate-based and processed, try separating snacks into bags of single-serving portions ahead of time, so you know how much you've eaten and won't be tempted to eat whatever amount "the claw" retrieves during its five dives into the box. Wheat Thins or Triscuits are good choices here, because they're baked (not fried) and made with whole grain.
The Dorm Room Diet: The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really Works

The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really WorksThe Dorm Room DietRevised and Updated EditionFiguring out how to eat right and stay healthy on your own can be hard! Here is...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Nutrition and Healthy Eating

Why should teens eat butter instead of margarine?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
When people want to eat butter but are trying to limit their fat intake, they often switch to ma...
What are some healthy snacks for college students?
Doreen RodoDoreen Rodo
It's tough for college students to eat healthy, but it can be done, especially if you choose wisely....
As a Teen, Should I Drink Energy Drinks?
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium