What are three basic types of memory?

The three basic forms of memory are short-term memory, which refers to memories that can last from a few seconds up to a couple of minutes; intermediate long-term memory, which can last for days or weeks; and, long-term memory, which involves memories that can be recalled for years, or possibly an entire lifetime.

To understand how memory loss works, it is important to understand how we store our memories.

From a physiological perspective, a memory results from chemical, or even structural, changes in synaptic transmissions between neurons. A pathway is created as these changes occur. This pathway is called a memory trace. Signals can travel through the brain along these memory traces.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Learning and Memory

How can essential oils help me improve my memory while studying at college?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
Essential oils in aromatherapy can help you retain that ridiculous amount of calculus you've bee...
Do our brains change as we learn?
Dr. Daniel G. Amen, MDDr. Daniel G. Amen, MD
Yes! This is called plasticity, or neuroplasticity. Each time you learn something new and practice i...
What is the difference between IQ and EQ?
IQ (intelligence quotient) tests are standard tests of brain strength, measuring things like math, l...
How Is Auditory Memory Different from Visual and Other Sensory Memory?