As a teen will caffeine boost my memory?

There are some benefits associated with teens consuming caffeine and one of those is memory performance.  There is some support that caffeine can help teens stay more alert as well as provide them with a quick pick-me-up for events and practices. Plus, Japanese researchers have found that caffeine helps memory performance. On the physical side of things, caffeine may ward off Alzheimer's disease and cirrhosis of the liver. Additionally, coffee contains antioxidants, polyphenols and other chemicals that are beneficial for the body.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that adolescents should not consume more than 100 mg of caffeine a day (adults 300-400 mg). Young children shouldn't drink caffeinated beverages on a regular basis.  To help put caffeine contents into perspective, a Grande coffee from Starbucks has about 330 mg of caffeine. A bottle of 5-Hour Energy has 208 mg, compared to a soft drink that has 50 mg.

So as a teen, you do want to keep your caffeine intake in moderation as too much can cause negative side effects.

Here is a great site to see check out the caffeine content in foods and drugs...

Center for Science in the Public Interest:

http://www.cspinet.org/new/cafchart.htm

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Learning and Memory

What are three basic types of memory?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The three basic forms of memory are short-term memory, which refers to memories that can last from a...
How can meditation help my brain?
Meditation allows us to move from focused thought to an unfocused condition, which frees the mind ...
What is the difference between IQ and EQ?
IQ (intelligence quotient) tests are standard tests of brain strength, measuring things like math, l...
How Is Auditory Memory Different from Visual and Other Sensory Memory?