Why should my college exercise routine vary?

Daphne Oz
Health Education
Your body is really smart. If it knows exactly what to expect every time you exercise, it can figure out ways to do the work without having to expend as much energy, or otherwise adjust to the motions you're putting it through. If you do the same routine over and over again, you work the same muscle groups continuously. At first they'll respond to the new workout by building strength, endurance, and tone. But, eventually, your muscles will plateau at the level of strength, endurance, and tone that a particular level of workout can elicit. That's why it's important to vary the muscle groups you are working, as well as the level at which they are being worked.

This also goes for fat-burning exercises, such as running and using the elliptical machine. If you run two miles every day, you'll see dramatic results at first, but eventually your body will get accustomed to this training and you won't have to work as hard to complete the run. This is when you either have to run farther, change your course (add some hills), or alter your pace (either run faster, steadily, or add some sprints to your jog) to make sure you are still working out effectively. There will never be a point at which you don't burn calories from exercising, but you want to make sure that you are burning as many as possible.
The Dorm Room Diet: The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really Works

The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really WorksThe Dorm Room DietRevised and Updated EditionFiguring out how to eat right and stay healthy on your own can be hard! Here is...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Exercise and Physical Fitness

As a teen, how can a baseball pitcher keep his or her throwing arm healthy?
Carlos Mirabal, NASM Elite TrainerCarlos Mirabal, NASM Elite Trainer
To keep your arm healthy please make sure you always perform warm up exercises before you throw any ...
How should I exercise my oblique muscles as a teen?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
To exercise your oblique abdominal muscles, follow these steps: Scissor kicks: Lie on your back a...
How Can I Strengthen My Lower Back In My Dorm Room?
What Is a Good Quick Warm-Up I Can Do In a Dorm Room or Bedroom?