What causes teen cheerleaders to get stress fractures?

Jennifer A. Baima, MD
Neuromuscular Medicine

Stress fractures occur from increased repetitive force on normal bone or normal force on weak bone. When a fracture happens because of weak bone, we call this insufficiency fracture. Teen cheerleaders may be at risk for either type of fracture. If a cheerleader is not doing other strength training activities, then jumping on hard surfaces may result in stress fracture of the feet or shins. Cheerleaders are often under societal pressure to stay thin. Teenagers in general often consume more junk food. Dieting while increasing activity levels, lack of appropriate calcium and vitamin D in the diet, and intake of soda are all risk factors for insufficiency fractures. Proper strength training, appropriate footwear, and good nutrition can prevent stress or insufficiency fractures in teen cheerleaders.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Exercise and Physical Fitness

Besides sit-ups, what is a good way to exercise my abs in my room?
Joel Harper - Elite TrainerJoel Harper - Elite Trainer
When exercise your abs you want to do as much variety as possible in order to work your muscles from...
What are some healthy indoor activities for teens?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
Instead of completely passive, sedentary activities such as TV watching, why not try some other ...
What Is a Good Exercise for the Butt and Legs I Can Do In My Room?
How Should I End a Workout In My Dorm Room or Bedroom?