What should my target heart rate be when exercising if I'm a teen?

Daphne Oz
Health Education
When doing a cardio workout, there is a certain heart rate you want to reach and sustain, so that your body burns fat the most efficiently. This is called your target heart rate (THR). You want to reach a heart rate (the number of heartbeats per minute) within your target heart rate range and hold that level for at least half an hour

To determine your target heart rate (THR), subtract your age from 220, then take this number and multiply by 0.6. This is your low limit. Then take the original 220 minus your age number and multiply by 0.85. This is your high limit. At the most intense part of your workout, your heart rate should fall somewhere between these numbers, but never above.
The Dorm Room Diet: The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really Works

The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really WorksThe Dorm Room DietRevised and Updated EditionFiguring out how to eat right and stay healthy on your own can be hard! Here is...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Exercise and Physical Fitness

How should I do a back stretch as a teen?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
To do a back stretch: Sit in a chair and cross your right leg over your left. Twist your torso a...
As a teen, how can taking a martial arts class make me feel safer?
KC Currin, NASM Elite TrainerKC Currin, NASM Elite Trainer
Feeling safe has a lot to do with being confident in your ability to protect yourself. Martial Arts ...
Besides Sit-Ups, What Is a Good Way to Exercise My Abs In My Room?
I Sit In a Chair Studying a Lot. What Is a Good Stretch for My Lower Back?