What should teens know about alcohol?

Alcohol is the most frequently used drug by teenagers in the United States. About half of junior high and senior high school students drink alcohol on a monthly basis, and 14% of teens have been intoxicated at least once in the past year. Nearly 8% of teens who drink say they drink at least five or more alcoholic drinks in a row (binge drink). 

Just a few of the many dangerous effects of alcohol use in teens include the following:

• Alcohol decreases teens' ability to pay attention.
  • Teens who have experienced alcohol withdrawal tend to have difficulties with memory.
  • In contrast to adults, teens tend to abuse alcohol with other substances, usually marijuana.
  • Male teens who drink heavily tend to complete fewer years of education compared to male teens who do not.
  • The younger a person is when they begin drinking, the more likely they are to develop a problem with alcohol.
  • Each year, almost 2,000 people under the age of 21 years die in car crashes in which underage drinking is involved. Alcohol is involved in nearly half of all violent deaths involving teens.
  • More than three times the number of eighth-grade girls who drink heavily said they have attempted suicide compared to girls in that grade who do not drink.
  • Intoxication is associated with suicide attempts using more lethal methods, and positive blood alcohol levels are often found in people who complete suicide.
  • Teens who drink are more likely to engage in sexual activity, have unprotected sex, have sex with a stranger, or be the victim or perpetrator of a sexual assault.
  • Excess alcohol use can cause or mask other emotional problems, like anxiety or depression.
  • Drinking in excess can lead to the use of other drugs, like marijuana, cocaine, or heroin.

Published by medicinenet.com

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Exercise and Physical Fitness

Why is it hard to exercise at college?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
College students tend to think of exercise as inconvenient, sometimes embarrassing, and even bor...
Besides sit-ups, what is a good way to exercise my abs in my room?
Joel Harper - Elite TrainerJoel Harper - Elite Trainer
When exercise your abs you want to do as much variety as possible in order to work your muscles from...
What Is a Good Quick Warm-Up I Can Do In a Dorm Room or Bedroom?
What Are Some Exercises I Can Do In My Dorm Room or Bedroom?