What is the proper way to stretch?

Eric Olsen
Fitness

It's important not to "bounce" into the stretch. Bouncing actually activates reflexes that cause your muscles to tighten, which simply defeats the whole purpose. Rather, slowly sink into the stretch, hold for a breath or two, and relax, then sink a bit more and hold again. Hold for five to 20 seconds, then repeat three to five times. Always breathe slowly and deeply; never hold your breath during these stretches.

Lifefit: An Effective Exercise Program for Optimal Health and a Longer Life

An easy-to-follow programme for lengthening and improving lives. More than an exercise guide, this text is an effective tool for making meaningful lifestyle decisions to benefit long-term fitness. In...

Stretching is often not completed as much as it should be so my first suggestion, stretch before and after exercise, your body will thank you! 

When speaking about stretching, you must decide the form of stretching you will complete.  Will it be static, hold a position for a prolonged period of time; active, involving movement with you stretch; or dynamic, movements to prepare your body for the type of exercise you will be completing.  The proper way to complete any of the above will be to know proper form.  If you are stretching your quadriceps and completing this statically then a way to do so is to grab your shoelaces and line up your knees so one quadricep is stretched while the other leg assists with balance.  Many individual may do this but may try and pull more than they should on the leg they are stretching which is not necessary.   Again, be sure to stretch correctly and to know the form of stretching you are attempting to complete.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Exercise and Physical Fitness

Why do teens eat unhealthy food at parties?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
Parties are a danger zone for unhealthy eating because: There is a lot of unhealthful food availab...
How much should I exercise if I'm an overweight teen?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
If you are overweight and would like to start exercising, I would suggest that you talk to your doct...
How Can I Tone and Tighten My Triceps In My Dorm Room or Bedroom?
Besides Sit-Ups, What Is a Good Way to Exercise My Abs In My Room?