For a teen, what is the RICE protocol for joint injuries?

If you do experience joint pain or related strains and sprains in the surrounding soft tissue, it’s best to follow the RICE protocol:
  • Rest: Stay off the injured area.
  • Ice: Ice the area of injury, using an ice pack or a bag of frozen peas on the injured area for 20 minutes four times a day to keep down the inflammation and swelling. Protect your skin with a thin washcloth or towel.
  • Compression: Wrap the joint in an elastic bandage to help support the weakened tissues. Fit it snugly, but not so tightly that it causes pain or cuts off the blood supply.
  • Elevation: When you’re at home, keep the injured part elevated--higher than the level of the heart--to decrease blood flow to the area and prevent swelling.
YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Exercise and Physical Fitness

What are some healthy indoor activities for teens?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
Instead of completely passive, sedentary activities such as TV watching, why not try some other ...
How should I do butt stretching exercises as a teen?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
To do a butt stretch: Sit down and bring your feet as close to your butt as possible, slightly l...
Besides Sit-Ups, What Is a Good Way to Exercise My Abs In My Room?
What Are Some Exercises I Can Do In My Dorm Room or Bedroom?