As a teen, what should I look for when choosing a batting helmet?

What should I look for when choosing a batting helmet?
  • The best (and most expensive) helmets have padding throughout. It does add some bulk, but it also gives the most protection.
  • Most padding is open-cell so it will absorb sweat. A padded liner will help ventilate this moisture as well as odor.
  • Ventilation ports may be cut into the helmet without lessening the effectiveness of the shell. This will keep air moving and reduce the heat that comes from baseball's typically dark-colored helmets.
  • Some helmets have a special coating on the underside of the bill to reduce glare and keep the sun out of your eyes.
  • Most helmets include pre-drilled holes so you can attach a facemask or guard. Some are considered universal, but if you're using a faceguard, you'll want to make sure that it is compatible with your helmet.
  • Look for a fit that is not too loose or too tight. A loose fit will allow the helmet to shift around or drop into your field of vision. Too tight, and your helmet will be putting pressure on your head.
  • NOCSAE® (National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment) certification is crucial for any piece of protective gear. NOCSAE® tests for impact absorption and durability. All helmets sold by Eastbay meet NOCSAE® standards.

By: Eastbay Athlete Resource Center (ARC)

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Exercise and Physical Fitness

How should I exercise my shoulders as a teen?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
To exercise your shoulders, follow these steps: Tennis ball twists: Stand up tall and stretch you...
How can I include strength training in my college exercise routine?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
A good way to fit muscle training into your workout schedule is to alternate days of hard cardio...
How Can I Tone and Tighten My Triceps In My Dorm Room or Bedroom?
What Are Some Exercises I Can Do In My Dorm Room or Bedroom?