How can yoga and Pilates give me lean muscles if I'm a teen?

Daphne Oz
Health Education
Yoga and Pilates are exercises that have been absorbed into our culture, but may still have an air of mystique about them. Both are great workouts that allow you to build and tone long, lean muscle. Yoga does this by making you lift your own body weight in a variety of positions, so your own weight provides the resistance for strength training. It has its roots in ancient Indian practices of meditation, so the focus of yoga is to achieve equanimity, or evenness of mind. (Basically, you're supposed to learn how to be comfortable with being uncomfortable -- some of the positions into which yogis can contort their bodies are not exactly easy, but the idea is to have your mental calm overcome this state of physical strain.) Yoga strengthens all parts of your body. Pilates, on the other hand, is a core workout, which means that it focuses on strengthening and tightening the muscles in your torso (your "core") to improve posture and lengthen your spine.
The Dorm Room Diet: The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really Works

The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really WorksThe Dorm Room DietRevised and Updated EditionFiguring out how to eat right and stay healthy on your own can be hard! Here is...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Exercise and Physical Fitness

What is the definition of physical activity?
Kristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness ExpertKristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness Expert
Physical activity can be defined as any bodily movement that is carried out by skeletal muscles and ...
How long should a teen hold each stretch when stretching?
Lorenzo Rawls , NASM Elite TrainerLorenzo Rawls , NASM Elite Trainer
I would recommend a teen to stretch at least three times a week or before and after performing any p...
What Is a Good Exercise for the Butt and Legs I Can Do In My Room?
How Should I End a Workout In My Dorm Room or Bedroom?