How should I warm up before stretching as a teen?

Daphne Oz
Health Education
Before you start your strength training routine, find yourself a flight of stairs. A few stair climber moves will give your muscles a quick boost of blood and heat to prepare them for your workout. Start on a landing. Step up two steps with your right foot and bring your left foot up to meet it. Step back down to the landing with your left foot first and bring your right foot down to meet it. Repeat this activity, this time with your left foot stepping up first. Do this 60 times to really get the blood flowing before you embark on any serious stretching or muscle exercising.

Next, roll your shoulders 10 times forward, 10 times backward, and then make 20 full circles with your arms out to the side, back 10 times and forward 10 times. With your feet firmly on the floor, hold your arms straight out to the side and swing your upper body in a circle by bending to the front, side, and back to rotate your hips 10 times in each direction.
The Dorm Room Diet: The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really Works

The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really WorksThe Dorm Room DietRevised and Updated EditionFiguring out how to eat right and stay healthy on your own can be hard! Here is...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Exercise and Physical Fitness

As a teen, how does exercise help my bones?
Just as exercise improves your muscle, it also builds your bone strength. In particular, weight-bear...
What should a teen look for when choosing a lacrosse helmet?
Lorenzo Rawls , NASM Elite TrainerLorenzo Rawls , NASM Elite Trainer
Confirm the helmet is approved by the National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipme...
What Are Some Exercises I Can Do In My Dorm Room or Bedroom?
How Can I Strengthen My Lower Back In My Dorm Room?