How can I maintain my target heart rate when exercising if I'm a teen?

Daphne Oz
Health Education
When doing a cardio workout, there is a certain heart rate you want to reach and sustain, so that your body burns fat the most efficiently. This is called your target heart rate (THR). You want to reach a heart rate (the number of heartbeats per minute) within your target heart rate range and hold that level for at least half an hour.

When doing a cardio workout, you want to reach your target heart rate (THR) and keep it steady. If you're not on a machine that allows you to measure your heart rate, go at a pace that makes you breathe hard, but doesn't leave you so short of breath that you have to stop exercising to catch your breath. Now keep it up for at least half an hour. No, this doesn't mean you'll have to start off with a thirty-minute run right at the beginning of your program. Lifting weights and exercising large muscle groups in quick succession is also considered cardio exercise. Martial arts and kickboxing are also great cardio workouts. So, you could do fifteen minutes on a treadmill or elliptical machine, then get off and immediately go into a weight lifting routine, during which you take thirty seconds to rest between sets of repetitions and a minute break in between each different exercise until you've completed your half-hour.
The Dorm Room Diet: The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really Works

The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really WorksThe Dorm Room DietRevised and Updated EditionFiguring out how to eat right and stay healthy on your own can be hard! Here is...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Exercise and Physical Fitness

As a teen, how can taking a martial arts class make me feel safer?
KC Currin, NASM Elite TrainerKC Currin, NASM Elite Trainer
Feeling safe has a lot to do with being confident in your ability to protect yourself. Martial Arts ...
How should I do push-ups as a teen?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
To do an upper push-up: Lie down on your stomach and put your hands palms down and shoulder-widt...
What Is a Good Quick Warm-Up I Can Do In a Dorm Room or Bedroom?
What Are Some Exercises I Can Do In My Dorm Room or Bedroom?