How should I exercise my back muscles as a teen?

Daphne Oz
Health Education
To exercise your back muscles, follow these steps:

Leg and opposite arm lift: Kneel on all fours. Extend one leg and the opposite arm in opposite directions and hold for 1 minute. Switch sides.

Back stretch: Lie on your back, tuck your knees into your chest, and clasp your arms around your legs by holding on to your elbows. Pull your knees into your chest. Keep your ankles uncrossed. Press your tailbone into the carpet, which will pull your elbows higher and give you a shoulder stretch as well. Elongate your spine. Hold for 30 seconds.

Hyperextensions ("the toddler"): Lie down on your stomach with your arms stretched out in front of you. Arch your back and lift one leg and the opposite arm. Alternate 25 times. Rest for 10 seconds. Repeat twice. For a more advanced version, swim with both arms and legs off the floor while you switch back and forth.

Leg pulls: Lie on your stomach, bend your knees, and grasp both ankles with your hands. Use your leg strength and slowly lift your shoulders off the floor by pushing your legs back. Hold for 30 seconds.

Twists: On all fours, extend one leg and the opposite arm in opposite directions and hold for 1 minute. After extending the opposite leg and arm in opposite directions, bring them back into your body so that the elbow and kneecap gently tap and then extend again. Return to starting position and repeat 25 times. Switch sides.

Back stretch: Lie on your back. Grab one knee with the opposite arm and bring it across your body while keeping your chest open by extending the other arm in the opposite direction. Breathe and sink down toward the mat. Switch sides.
The Dorm Room Diet: The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really Works

The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really WorksThe Dorm Room DietRevised and Updated EditionFiguring out how to eat right and stay healthy on your own can be hard! Here is...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Exercise and Physical Fitness

I sit in a chair studying a lot. What is a good stretch for my lower back?
Joel Harper - Elite TrainerJoel Harper - Elite Trainer
If your lower back is tight, it most likely means your hips are tight, so the more we open up your h...
What should a teen look for when choosing a lacrosse helmet?
Lorenzo Rawls , NASM Elite TrainerLorenzo Rawls , NASM Elite Trainer
Confirm the helmet is approved by the National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipme...
What Is a Good Quick Warm-Up I Can Do In a Dorm Room or Bedroom?
How Can I Tone and Tighten My Triceps In My Dorm Room or Bedroom?