Why is online harassment increasingly popular?

Shawn Edgington
Pediatrics
Online harassment and cyberbullying is more effective than ever. Bad people can easily connect with their targets hundreds of times a day. Social networks are like virtual stages that online bullies can use to reach out and threaten or harass whenever they choose. The top six reasons virtual harassment has become the choice of today's bullies are:
  • Technology is portable and easy to access.
  • It's persistent and instantly harmful.
  • Content can be edited and altered.
  • It's distributed with lightening speed and breadth.
  • There is a lack of accountability.
  • It's insidious and dangerous.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Bullying

What are the characteristics of a typical cyberbully?
Typically children and youth involved in cyberbullying are also likely to be involved in "traditiona...
What should I do if I am being harassed by text message?
Shawn EdgingtonShawn Edgington
Textual Harassment is an unfortunate reality that has developed as a result of the growth and po...
Should You Worry About Sibling Bullying?
Megyn Kelly Opens Up About Bullying
Megyn Kelly Opens Up About Bullying