Why should I let an adult know if I'm getting bullied?

You may need to get adults involved to put an end to a problem that can have some damaging long-term effects. We know it can be hard to approach adults about bullying, because you may fear being ridiculed, but find your courage. You may prevent some other kid from being beaten, or even killed, by helping to raise school awareness that your school is not currently a safe place. Use the power of your voice to tell about what’s really going on. Also note that most bullying occurs when there’s no supervision, so the easiest form of prevention is to be with others (peers and otherwise) when you’re moving around. Recent attention has also focused on the bystander—another casualty of bullying, but one with the opportunity to make a huge impact. If you’re the bystander, intervene in a proactive way: Get help, tell a teacher, adult, or policeman. Call 911. Don’t just stand there, do something! Doing nothing allows the bully to take something from you, too—by leaving you powerless at the sidelines. Take back your power. Take a stand. And end bullying.

YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Bullying

Can cyberbullying be unintentional?
Shawn EdgingtonShawn Edgington
The act of cyberbullying (when a minor uses technology as a weapon to intentionally threaten or ...
What should I do if I am being harassed by text message?
Shawn EdgingtonShawn Edgington
Textual Harassment is an unfortunate reality that has developed as a result of the growth and po...
Megyn Kelly Opens Up About Bullying
Megyn Kelly Opens Up About Bullying
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?