What should I do if I am being harassed by text message?

Shawn Edgington
Pediatrics
Textual Harassment is an unfortunate reality that has developed as a result of the growth and popularity of texting. What should you do if you get text harassed?

I: Ignore the Text. DON’T RESPOND, and make a copy of the message.
B: Block. Call your provider and have them block the number.
R: Report. Report the harassment to the police.

It really comes down to one question when you’re trying to decide if a text has crossed the line. Ask yourself “Do you feel threatened or violated in any way?” If your answer is “Yes”, stop responding to the texts, keep copies of the messages in your e-mail, and if needed, block their number. If you feel threatened, strongly consider reporting them to the police, which is why you need to document the messages by making copies.

Most importantly, if you get harassed by text, understand that you’re not alone. There are millions of textual harassment cases reported every year in the United States, and it’s my strong opinion that most cases go unreported.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Bullying