How can I protect my child from online harassment?

Shawn Edgington
Pediatrics
Take the following measures to defend your child against online harassment:
  • Set up a Google Alert for your child's name and make sure to set the content filter to "strict" and include "all online searches."
  • Set clear user boundaries and discuss what the consequences would be for misuse of any technology.
  • Regularly and openly monitor all social media accounts until your child is mature enough to socialize online without supervision.
  • Obey the age limits that social networking sites have set for users.
  • Empower your children to Ignore/Block/Report.
  • Online image protection, damage control, and proactive content monitoring are your parental obligation and responsibility.
  • Be prepared to restrict mobile devices or Internet privileges when necessary.
  • Don't be sneaky when monitoring -- be up-front and honest about what you're doing and how you're doing it.
  • Teach your children to have respect for others online and by text.
  • Advocate and attend school programs that provide education and awareness about their social media policies, procedures, and programs.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Bullying

How can I find out if my child is a cyberbully?
Shawn EdgingtonShawn Edgington
The only way you're going to know if your child is responsible for causing other children grief whil...
How can a child use Internet polls to cyberbully another child?
Shawn EdgingtonShawn Edgington
Who's hot? Who's not? Who is the biggest slut in the eighth grade? These are the types of questions ...
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?
The Story Behind the Viral #LeggingsWin Movement