What should I know about why my parents are divorcing?

J.Lucy Boyd
Epidemiology

The most important thing you should know is that it is not your fault. Parents divorce when one or both of them decide (or figure out) that the lifelong commitment they made was based on false information, or that they do not feel the same way they did when they married. Sometimes, even though couples pledge to remain together for better or for worse, they actually have "deal breakers" in their minds. In other words, they feel that if their partner doesn't meet their expectations in some way, they will "cancel" the marriage and get a divorce.

Sometimes, divorcing parents got married because they felt "in love" or they felt attracted to each other. These are feelings that can change over time, and, if that is all the relationship was based on, instead of being based on friendship or a strong sense of partnership, it can fail.

When you grow up, you will likely have a better understand of why your parents are divorcing. For now, know that it isn't your or your siblings' faults and that your parents will always be your parents and your family.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Building Relationships

What should I avoid doing to make better friend choices?
Karen R KoenigKaren R Koenig
To make better friend choices, don’t:Keep friends just because you feel bad for them or are afraid t...
What can teens do to stay safe at parties?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Before going to any party, always tell a friend the address of where you are going. Know who is givi...
Do online friends boost happiness?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
Online friends do temporarily boost happiness when only a novel “image” or “fantasy” of the individu...
What is peer pressure?
Peer pressure is when another person or a group pressures you to do something that may not refle...