What is peer pressure?

Peer pressure is when another person or a group pressures you to do something that may not reflect your own wishes or values. The pressure can be subtle: an unspoken understanding that if you don’t take a drag on that cigarette, you will become persona non grata in this social circle. Or it can be overt, as when everyone at the party starts chanting “Chug! Chug! Chug!” and won’t stop until you do. Many people put their friends’ needs, whims, and demands above their own.

Sometimes this can be noble and altruistic, as in doing something nice for a friend who is going through a hard time. But at other times, the requests may do you more harm than good. The trick is knowing which is which--and keeping yourself out of harm’s way while being able to take some safe risks. Peer pressure occurs when you throw that rational side of you out the window at your own expense--and sometimes with life-threatening consequences.    

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Building Relationships

As a teen, what do I do when my parents don't like my boyfriend?
Parents often have the right instincts and may be just looking out for you. In this video, Drs. ...
What should I do if my partner and I argue a lot?
Almost all people have diff erences of opinions--in fact, life would get boring otherwise. How y...
Do online friends boost happiness?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
Online friends do temporarily boost happiness when only a novel “image” or “fantasy” of the individu...
How can I find the right group to join?
What do you like to do? What defines you? Are you half Latino and half African American? Join bo...