What are common coping behaviors for hospitalized teenagers?

Common coping behaviors for hospitalized teenagers include the following:
  • defense mechanisms
  • intellectualization (finding out everything there is to know about why they are in the hospital)
  • conformity (giving in, often seen as withdrawal)
  • uncooperative behavior
This content originally appeared on the Alliance for Kids website.

Continue Learning about Teens (12-18)

Protecting Children from the Opioid Epidemic
The old saying “curiosity killed the cat” dates back to the middle of the 16th century. And the idea “cats have nine lives” may predate that. Some bel...
How does lack of sleep affect teens?
Sleep is as necessary for life as food and water, and teens need approximately nine hours of sleep p...
How can I prepare my teenager for hospitalization?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
Begin preparing your teenager for hospitalization a couple weeks to a month ahead of time. This will...
What Is HealthCorps?
What Is HealthCorps?