What are some signs that my child is a victim of cyberbullying?

Dr. Michele Borba
Psychology Specialist

Tune into your children closer. Look for these possible signs of cyberbullying, but do know there may be others. Here are a few signs to watch for that may be warnings that your child is being cyberbullied (and if not, then any of these signs are red flags to look into).

• hesitant to be online or unexpectedly stops or avoids using the computer
  • nervous when an instant message, text or e-mail appears
  • visibly upset, angry or depressed after using the computer or cell phone
  • hides or clears the computer screen or cell when you enter or doesn’t want to talk about online activity
  • starts using the computer when you’re not in the room
  • keeps going back and forth to check screen in shorter spurts
  • withdraws from friends, wants to avoid school or peer activities or uneasy about going outside in general, pulls away from family members
  • suddenly sullen, evasive withdrawn, marked change in personality or behavior
  • trouble sleeping, loss of appetite, excessively moody or crying, seems depressed
  • suspicious phone calls, e-mails and packages arrives at your home
  • possible drop in academic performance or falls behind in schoolwork

Look for a pattern in your child. A key that you should not overlook is a sudden change that is not your child’s “normal” behavior that lasts at least every day for two weeks. But even then, use your instinct! If you are concerned, don’t wait. Get help!

If these signs are not due to cyberbullying they clearly warrant looking into. Something is amiss with your child! Find out what’s going on. Dig deeper. Conference with your child’s teacher, coach, counselor, pediatrician or seek the help of a trained mental health professional.

The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Teens (12-18)

How to Reduce Risky Driving Behavior in Teens
In the 1950 driver’s education film, Last Date, actor Dick York plays Nick, a bad boy who drives recklessly. A peer warns Nick he’s destined to commit...
How can I help my teenager cope with hospitalization?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
To help your teenager cope with hospitalization, try the following: respect and maintain privacy...
How do pediatricians relate to teenagers?
When my patients turn twelve, I create a contract with them. I see them first with a parent and then...
The Case Against Adderall, Pt 4
The Case Against Adderall, Pt 4