How can I make sure that my teen attends only supervised parties?

Michele Borba
A survey by The Partnership for a Drug-Free America and called the "MetLife Foundation Attitude Tracking Study" found that the place where teens are most likely to encounter drugs and alcohol is at parties and other social situations. While not shocking, what teens say is that many parties are not adult supervised and in some cases it's the adults who are the suppliers.

Know your teen's friends and their parents. Make a pact to monitor each other's kids and pledge that there will be no unsupervised parties.

Make a rule that you call any parent hosting a party to assure supervision. Doing so helps you find other parents who share rules, which helps when your teen says, "You're the only parent with those rules" -- you can beg to differ.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Teens (12-18)

How to Reduce Risky Driving Behavior in Teens
In the 1950 driver’s education film, Last Date, actor Dick York plays Nick, a bad boy who drives recklessly. A peer warns Nick he’s destined to commit...
What causes narcissism in teens?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
A growing number of researchers are finding a link between social media websites like Facebook a...
How much sleep does my teenager need?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
The optimum amount of sleep time for teens is 9 and 1/4 hours per night. This is hard to do because ...
How Parent's Work Schedules Affect Kids' Weight