What should I do if I think my college teen is depressed?

Michele Borba
If you suspect your college teen is depressed, share your concerns: "I'm worried about you and think you might be depressed." Print off the depression signs posted on his college website and show him.

Make an appointment with a mental health professional. Tell your teen that you made an appointment. Don't assume your teen will get to a counselor or make her own appointment. You must take control!

A depressed teen often realizes something isn't right, but doesn't know what's wrong. Often the first to identify depression is a roommate or resident assistant. If you have contact with the roommate, ask.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Teen Depression

News: Are Smartphones Making Teens More Depressed Than Ever Before?
Too many hours texting, sharing memes, scrolling through social media feeds and watching cat or dog videos on smartphones may be hazardous to your tee...
How long does my depressed teenage child need to take an antidepressant?
How long your teenage child has to take antidepressants depends on the type and severity of depr...
Are depressed teens treatable?
Jennifer Powell-LunderJennifer Powell-Lunder
The good news is that depression is indeed treatable in adolescents. According to NIMH the lifetime ...
How Can I Help My Teen with Depression?
How Can I Help My Teen with Depression?