How can I help my child set appropriate goals?

Michele Borba
First-time goal-setters need to see some immediate success. Have your child set a goal that can be achieved at least within a week. Here’s a few goals children can achieve in a short time:

• Finishing a simple school project
• Reading a book (or a page a night)
• Losing one pound
• Writing all those thank you notes
• Cleaning a closet
• Raking the front lawn leaves
• Learning how to address an envelope.
• Practicing the piano 15 minutes a day (then increasing to whatever
  length)
• Making his bed every day
• Picking up her toys and putting them in the toy bin at 3 pm every day
• Brushing his teeth without reminders.

Some children need to set even shorter goals: at the end of the hour, or a day. Set the length of the goal according to the time you think your child needs to succeed.
Lynne Kenney

There are many different approaches to goal setting, what we want is for you to have a system that works for you!

Consider these easy to master steps to success.

1. Set specific and measurable goals. Write them down!
  2. Set initial goals that you can achieve within a week or so.
  3. Give yourself a healthy reward or do yourself a solid when you meet your goal.
  4. Anticipate set-backs and breathe past them, you can start again meeting your goal right now!
  5. Keep all your plans on paper, write it, post it, celebrate it!

Continue Learning about Teaching Responsibilities To A School Age Child

How can I help my child plan for a successful volunteer session?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Help your child plan for successful volunteer sessions as follows: Suppose your child is tutoring a ...
How can giving an allowance help my kids manage money?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
One of the best ways for kids to learn to manage money and keep a budget is by giving allowances...
How can I help my kids save their money?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Most kids are impulsive and want to spend, spend, spend. Our job is to teach them to save, save,...
How can I help my kids understand how to manage money?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Take your child to work. Show your daughter how you balance your checkbook. Explain how you are ...