How can I help my child figure out how to accomplish his goal?

Michele Borba
Once your child identifies his resolution or goal he needs to think through the steps to success. The more children can think through their goal and identify what they need to do to achieve success, the greater the chance they will succeed.  These ideas help children learn to plan the steps they need to take in order to achieve their goals. Choose ones that may work best for your child. Some kids need to write or draw all the steps. Other children can process this in their heads.

Identify the what + when. First ask, “What do you want to achieve?” Help your child clarify his goal.

List what needs to be done. Ask, “What are all the things you need to do to achieve your goal?” Help your child write or draw a different task on index cards. When finished, reread the tasks and put them in order asking, “What should you do first, then second, and third…?

Lastly, gather your resources. Ask your child, “Who or what do you need to help you succeed in your goal?” Help your child list or identify all the needed resources.

Continue Learning about Teaching Responsibilities To A School Age Child

How can giving an allowance help my kids manage money?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
One of the best ways for kids to learn to manage money and keep a budget is by giving allowances...
How can I help my kids understand how to manage money?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Take your child to work. Show your daughter how you balance your checkbook. Explain how you are ...
How can I help my child plan for a successful volunteer session?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Help your child plan for successful volunteer sessions as follows: Suppose your child is tutoring a ...
How can I help my kids save their money?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Most kids are impulsive and want to spend, spend, spend. Our job is to teach them to save, save,...