How can I encourage my kids to write thank you notes?

Michele Borba
A few ways to encourage your kids to write 'Thank you' notes are to:

Set expectations for gratitude. If your kids hear those expectations now, they’ll be less likely to put up a battle later.

Keep reminding! Keep in mind that kids may need constant reminders. 

Implement one simple family rule: “You must write the thank you note first, and then you may use the gift.”

Set age appropriate guidelines. A young child can dictate his comments and only needs to sign his name.  For school-age kids, “The total number of sentences in a thank you note should be half the child’s age.” So a ten-year-old should be expected to write a minimum of five complete sentences; a six-year-old should write just three sentences.

Help imagine the emotion behind the gesture. A hard lesson for kids to learn is that they’re really thanking the person not for the gift but the thoughtfulness behind it.

Be the example. Remember, your kids are watching your example, so write thank you notes yourself!

Thank your kids. Don’t overlook your kids’ daily thoughtful deeds.

Continue Learning about Teaching Responsibilities To A School Age Child

How can I help my child set appropriate goals?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
First-time goal-setters need to see some immediate success. Have your child set a goal that can ...
How can I help my child accomplish a goal?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Write your child’s goal on paper and tack it up on the refrigerator or bulletin board. Tell your...
How can I help my kids learn the value of money?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Help you child set up that lemonade stand. Encourage him to print flyers that say he’ll mow the ...
How can I help my child plan for a successful volunteer session?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Help your child plan for successful volunteer sessions as follows: Suppose your child is tutoring a ...