How can giving an allowance help my kids manage money?

Michele Borba
One of the best ways for kids to learn to manage money and keep a budget is by giving allowances. How much to give depends on your child’s spending habits and maturity, and your comfort level. But the keys to allowance success are these: Set a certain amount. Explain to your child what the allowance will cover (such as school lunches, movie tickets, makeup, and birthday gifts for friends or just nonessentials). Pay regularly at the same time and amount each week. And don’t bail them out!

Continue Learning about Teaching Responsibilities To A School Age Child

How can I help my child accomplish a goal?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Write your child’s goal on paper and tack it up on the refrigerator or bulletin board. Tell your...
How can I help my child figure out how to accomplish his goal?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Once your child identifies his resolution or goal he needs to think through the steps to success...
How can I help my child plan for a successful volunteer session?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Help your child plan for successful volunteer sessions as follows: Suppose your child is tutoring a ...
How can I encourage my kids to write thank you notes?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
A few ways to encourage your kids to write 'Thank you' notes are to: Set expectations for gratitu...