How does matcha green tea boost metabolism?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Matcha green tea contains the polyphenol EGCG, a thermogenic component believed to boost metabolism. Unlike other varieties of green tea, where you steep and discard the leaves, matcha tea is ground into a powder that completely dissolves in water. When you drink it, you ingest the tea leaves and all of their healthful nutrients. It has great antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Enjoy matcha green tea cold—cold beverages require your body to work harder, burning more calories. For a metabolic boost, try drinking for 3 cups a day.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Tea & Health

Drink Tea, Skip the Milk
Drink Tea, Skip the Milk
Milk can do your body good, but maybe not when it's in your tea. Women in a study who drank black tea had improved cardiovascular function -- but tha...
Why should I avoid making my own herbal teas?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Because of the potential harmful effects of herbal teas, be careful about using herbs to make yo...
Can green tea relieve arthritis symptoms?
Potent compounds in green tea -- epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) and epicatechin gallate (ECG) -- ma...
What Are the Benefits of Green Tea Catechins?