What should I consider before having my tattoo removed?

If you're considering having a tattoo removed, consult with a dermatologist who performs this procedure. Ask what method he or she would recommend to remove your tattoo. There are several options, including lasers, dermabrasion, and surgery. The option that's best for you depends on the type of tattoo you have, your skin, and your personal preferences. Other questions you may want to discuss with a dermatologist before having a tattoo removed include:

- Will this procedure remove my tattoo entirely?
- Will removing my tattoo leave a scar?
- How many treatments will it take to remove my tattoo?

Continue Learning about Tattoos

Immune System Reactions to Tattoos Are Potentially Debilitating
The Missouri Compromise, signed into law in 1820 by President James Monroe, allowed Maine into the union as a free state and Missouri in as a slave st...
What does a semicolon tattoo mean?
Alice DomarAlice Domar
None of my patients has gotten one of these tattoos, but from what I have read, semicolon tattoos ar...
Is it safe to get a tattoo during pregnancy?
Pregnant women are advised to wait until after the baby is born to get a tattoo. If a pregnant woman...
7 Stunning Tattoos With the Power to Heal
7 Stunning Tattoos With the Power to Heal7 Stunning Tattoos With the Power to Heal7 Stunning Tattoos With the Power to Heal7 Stunning Tattoos With the Power to Heal
Tattoos can help transform and reclaim areas that illness has touched.