Is a tattoo bad for my skin?

Typically, the tattoo itself is not that bad for your skin -- that is, as long as you're not allergic to the pigment being used and if the tattoo heals properly. Your skin acts as a protective barrier for your entire body. Tattooing involves injecting some sort of pigment under your skin, thereby making the tattoo site susceptible to infection. As long as the tattoo facility and tattoo artist follow all the necessary sterilization and sanitation procedures, your risk for infection and disease should be relatively low. It's also important that you properly clean and care for your tattoo while it is healing.

Continue Learning about Tattoos

Immune System Reactions to Tattoos Are Potentially Debilitating
The Missouri Compromise, signed into law in 1820 by President James Monroe, allowed Maine into the union as a free state and Missouri in as a slave st...
I have a tattoo on my lower back. Can I get an epidural?
There is little research on whether getting an epidural is safe when you have a tattoo. As a precaut...
Can I permanently remove a tattoo?
Susan EvansSusan Evans
Removing a permanent tattoo can be done, but it is relatively painful and expensive. Tattoo remo...
7 Stunning Tattoos With the Power to Heal
7 Stunning Tattoos With the Power to Heal7 Stunning Tattoos With the Power to Heal7 Stunning Tattoos With the Power to Heal7 Stunning Tattoos With the Power to Heal
Tattoos can help transform and reclaim areas that illness has touched.