What medications can change my sense of taste?

Some medications can cause a bitter or metallic taste or affect the ability to taste. Among them are cardiovascular agents, central nervous system stimulants, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, respiratory inhalants and smoking cessation products such as nicotine skin patches.

Continue Learning about Taste & The Nervous System

How can I train my taste buds to like healthy food?
It takes only about two weeks for your taste buds to learn to like a new food. Therefore, if you are...
How does my sense of taste change as I age?
When you age, you're usually less sensitive to taste and also to textures like oiliness. A decrease ...
What increases my risk for hypogeusia?
Risk factors for hypogeusia include heavy smoking, dehydration, and the use of some prescription dru...
How do taste preferences develop?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
Our tastes are the result of our bodies adapting to the foods that we eat on a regular basis. Be...