What do I need to know about caring for someone with hypogeusia?

Those with hypogeusia may find eating less enjoyable because of their reduced ability to taste flavors. You can help make meals more appealing for your loved one by using flavorful spices and herbs. If your loved one's diet permits, add cheese, olive oil, toasted nuts, bacon bits, or butter to add flavor to food. Avoid adding extra sugar or salt, as this can increase your loved one's risk of stroke, heart disease, and diabetes.

If you are caring for a loved one with hypogeusia, take extra care that the person does not eat spoiled food or food to which they are allergic. Those with hypogeusia may not be able to taste when food has gone bad or when it contains ingredients that might spark an allergic reaction.

Continue Learning about Taste & The Nervous System

How can I train my taste buds to like healthy food?
It takes only about two weeks for your taste buds to learn to like a new food. Therefore, if you are...
What is Umami?
How we taste is important because taste, not smell, gives you the nutritional information of foo...
Can the way I perceive taste affect my health?
Your tongue-related genetics may play a big role in why you're overweight—or at greater risk for man...
How does true hunger affect my sense of taste?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
It is important to experience how much more enjoyable it is to eat when we are truly hungry. Then we...