What do I need to know about caring for someone with hypogeusia?

Those with hypogeusia may find eating less enjoyable because of their reduced ability to taste flavors. You can help make meals more appealing for your loved one by using flavorful spices and herbs. If your loved one's diet permits, add cheese, olive oil, toasted nuts, bacon bits, or butter to add flavor to food. Avoid adding extra sugar or salt, as this can increase your loved one's risk of stroke, heart disease, and diabetes.

If you are caring for a loved one with hypogeusia, take extra care that the person does not eat spoiled food or food to which they are allergic. Those with hypogeusia may not be able to taste when food has gone bad or when it contains ingredients that might spark an allergic reaction.

Continue Learning about Taste & The Nervous System

What increases my risk for hypogeusia?
Risk factors for hypogeusia include heavy smoking, dehydration, and the use of some prescription dru...
Does my sense of taste affect my weight?
Your tongue-related genetics may play a big role in why you're overweight -- or at greater risk for ...
What are the treatment options for hypogeusia?
Hypogeusia is often temporary and may resolve itself. If your hypogeusia is the result of an infecti...
Can the way I perceive taste affect my health?
Your tongue-related genetics may play a big role in why you're overweight—or at greater risk for man...